Why Choose Irving?
The City of Irving is a vibrant and dynamic community with a quarter of a million residents.
The Irving Police Department has more than 340 sworn officers and 49 detention officers. The police department's facilities include two police stations, a Family Advocacy Center, a Police Athletic League facility and a full-service Police Academy.
- At least 18 years of age
- A high school diploma or equivalent
- A valid Class C Texas driver’s license and a good driving record
- The ability to pass a thorough background check
Working in a Jail Environment
Working in the Irving Jail is not only safe, but it is an exciting and challenging career choice.
Detention officers also have the opportunity to become specialized in areas such as Gangs, Use of Force and Mental Health Awareness. After a year or more of service, they may also become mentors or training officers.
- Law and Government: Laws, penal codes, court procedures and government regulations.
- Jail Safety and Security: Principles and proper procedures for prisoner and officer safety, including use of force, search and restraint.
- Mechanical/Technical: Safe operation of various equipment, including restraint devices, life support systems, computers and radios.
- Appropriate National Crime Information Center (NCIC)/Texas Crime Information Center (TCIC) access certification.
- Breath Intoxilyzer 5000 TCLEOSE certification.
- 120 hours of vacation
- 9 paid holidays
- 16 hours of personal leave
- 120 hours of sick leave with unlimited accumulation
- 40 hours of sick leave can be used for family illness
- Tuition reimbursement
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Two health insurance plans
- Life insurance
- Longevity pay - $6 per month each full year of service
- In-house fitness centers
- Group dental insurance available
- 12-hour shifts
- Also provides for long-term disability protection and survivor benefits
- Employees contribute 7 percent.
- City of Irving matches contributions two-to-one.
- Vested after five years of service.
- Eligibility at 20 years of service at any at any age or at 60 years of age with at least five years of service.
- Supplemental Benefit Plan: 2.5 percent employee contribution for supplemental retirement annuity fund.
- Also provides for long-term disability protection and survivor benefits.
| Service Time
|Less than 1 year|| $32,106
|1 year|| $33,132
|2 years|| $34,296
|3 years|| $35,496
|4 years|| $36,744
|5 years|| $38,028
|6 years|| $39,360
|7 years|| $40,740
|8 years|| $42,168
|9 years|| $43,644
|10 years|| $45,168
Hourly Salary: $15.39 - $21.72
| Incentive Pay
||3% of pay
| Night Shift
|| 3% of pay
|| $50 to $150
|| $40 to $250