Nonresidents Charged Fees
In order to continue offering high quality services, Irving Public Library (IPL) charges nonresidents for library and computer access cards, effective Nov. 1, 2012. IPL instituted this fee in response to dramatic reductions in funding from the State of Texas and an increasing demand for library services and materials. Rather than eliminating services available to tax-paying residents, IPL will charge an annual fee to nonresidents who enjoy the library system’s exceptional services.
Everyone is welcome to visit, attend programs and use the materials within the library, regardless of where they live. In order to check out items from the library’s extensive collection, access the online resources or use one of the computers available at all library locations, non-residents will have to purchase either:
- Computer Access Card for an annual fee of $10
- Full Access Card for an annual fee of $40
Public Library Benefits
Public libraries are a great value, and can save you time and money, teach new skills, and improve your life in many ways. To calculate the value of your library use, visit the I Love Libraries website. The benefits of having an Irving Public Library card include:
- Access to an extensive collection of over a million books, videos, CDs, DVDs, audiobooks, eBooks, and downloadable audiobooks
- Access to online resources available from home
- Access to music download services
- An individual or family may borrow up to 50 items at a time, which can include 10 DVDs and 5 Blu-Ray discs.
- Borrowing and returning privileges at four convenient library locations
- Two computer sessions a day, for up to two hours a day
Public Library Funding
In prior years, Irving Public Libraries received almost $1 million in funding from the state and other outside agencies, however, starting in fiscal year 2011-12 funding was solely from the City of Irving.
Cities With Nonresident Fees
Many cities currently charge for non-resident library cards, including:
- Arlington - $50
- Dallas - $250
- Ft. Worth - $100
- Plano - $50
- Farmers Branch
Proof of Residency
As part of this change in policy, all Irving Public Library cardholders must provide proof of residency each year as their cards expires. Bring the appropriate forms of identification to any checkout desk to renew your card. You can find a list of approved identification here. To find out your expiration date, call (972) 721-2440.