You built a future for America, now build a future with the City of Irving.
Qualifications for Former Military
- Age 21 to 44 years old.
- A U.S. citizen.
- Possess a high school diploma or G.E.D.
- College hours:
- Waived completely for applicants who have completed three or more years of active military service and were discharged within 18 months prior to submitting their application.
- 30 college hours for applicants who have completed three or more years of active military service and were discharged more than 18 months ago but less than 36 months prior to submitting an application.
- 60 college hours required if active-duty military service has been longer than 3 years prior to submitting an application.
- If time was served in the military, cannot have been discharged from any military service under less than honorable conditions including, such as:
- Bad conduct.
- Any other characterization of service indicating bad character.
- Must not have any criminal convictions above the grade of a Class B misdemeanor or any Class B misdemeanor within the past 10 years.
- GI Bill benefits paid while on a training status.
- Veteran's preference points awarded on initial testing (5 extra points with a passing score as long as DD214 is presented prior to written test).
- 15 paid military days per year for reserve service.
- Specialized division transfers after two years.
- Condensed application process for out of area applicants.
Military applicants need to take a police officer exam that is closest to when he/she will have their official DD214. The official DD214 is needed to complete the background process. Applicants will need to schedule a police test that is within 30 days of receiving the official DD214.